[mac4theblind] Re: Mac or windows?

  • From: "Kliphton" <kliphton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 08:55:48 -0500

I haven't used it, but I have heard that garage band is a great app for
music production and editing.  I have a friend that even did podcasts on it.
Good luck.  I got my mac over a year ago, and don't regret it one bit!!

On 2012-07-27, at 9:22 AM, Benjamin Blatter <benjaminblatter@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi to all
>
> Well, I was so looking forward to get finally a macbook pro this year.
Since I want to ditch my seven year old PC with Win XP for something new and
really powerful. Since I would have to learn anyway anew when getting Win 7
I thought I'd could switch to mac as well.
> I went to an apple store in my area in Switzerland and had a look at the
new macbook pro Retina. Man, I've never seen such a thin notebook!
> My joy was big when my BAUM Suvervario braille display was working with
USB right out of the box. Bluetooth didn't work for some reason.

> Because the apple store was loudly and crowded, I didn't have really a
chance to understand voice over and check all the things I wanted in no
hurry.
> I got a recommendation to talk to a blind musician with apple experience.
> So I hit him up and told him what I'd like to do: Daily stuff like mail,
internet, writing documents like in microsoft word. And special things like
doing smaller projects like audio editing, producing my songs with MIDI or
audio, I have cakewalk sonar running on windows for that. I hope I don't
sound like a snop. But for once I really want to have a really powerful
notebook with an SSD, lots of ram and whatever is important.

> So I told this guy all about that. He produces his music with pro tools
and logic. But he wasn't as excited about that as I thought. He told me that
a year ago he'd recommend me going for a mac. Now however apple would end
it's support for professional things like logic about next year and go more
into the consumer area. Therefore he told me I should stay with windows, buy
a new machine with windows 7 and get a new jaws. If I wanted to produce
music I should use Cubase.

> I was a bit confused about that. So I asked him about being independent.
As far I know voice over provides speech and braille during the installation
of the OS, windows doesnt. He told me that voice over is providing
accessibility mostly in the user area. If you want to get deeper it will
become difficult. Voice over would be still be in childen's shoes.

> I asked him about clean systems. Windows software leaves many footprints
in the registry and other places on your hard drive. He told me that the mac
system wouldn't be better considering that and changing a small detail might
have sometimes a very big impact on the whole system, so he had to reinstall
his system more than once because of this.

> Well, I know I have to make this decision for myself eventually.
> But I'd like to ask you about your opinion on that. As far i understand
you really are working with these machines and probably don't even use
windows at all anymore.
> My plan was to get the new retina macbook pro and configure it up to the
limit. And buying win 7 in addition to run it with bootcamp.

> A main concern of mine is how to read and edit DOC and DOCX files I
regularly get from people I work with.
> And would be cubase accessible by voice over? Or which program should I
use for producing music?

> I know, this is a bit longwinded and you probably can't answer all my
questions. but thanks for trying anyway.