Re: time to create / memory footprint of VM

  • From: Justin Cormack <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:21:21 +0100

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 2:05 AM, Tim Caswell <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mike, I didn't realize that coroutines were that cheap!  How to they
> compare to just using callbacks for everything like we do in
> nodejs/luvit?  I assume callbacks are cheaper, but I've been proved
> wrong before.

Not sure you can really answer that question because it depends how
you use callbacks, but in my experience with Node you tend to create
closures a lot to use as callbacks, which would probably make them
much more expensive than coroutines. If you managed to use existing
functions callbacks would probably be cheaper/the same. Coroutines
would also help to keep your users sane!

Justin