Re: preserving the relationship between upvalues of serialized functions in LuaJIT 2

  • From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:22:02 -0400

Hi Mike,

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Mike Pall <mike-1206@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> First ... your reply does not relate to the actual question
> I posed about the API/ABI issues.

I guess it seems to me you answered your own question by saying, "So
it wouldn't break compatibility with the Lua 5.1 ABI, which is
important for distros." I'm not sure what the problem is by
introducing two C API functions that don't exist in 5.1, especially if
the functions are conditionally included using a #define.

> And I very well understand the purpose. But I still doubt it's an
> essential feature. The example you gave is easily solved by
> serializing the parent function. Where did I mention that? Ah.

Sorry if I offended you. Still, I don't see how saying, "serialize the
parent which, when executed, will properly produce the two child
functions", is an appropriate solution. It would be 100% unacceptable
to me if a serialization library forced me to serialize a parent
function in order to correctly create two child functions. It
essentially bars saving the child functions as part of any state I
want to serialize.

--
- Patrick Donnelly