[loulug] Windows Is Free

  • From: Tobin Maginnis <ptm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: loulug freelist <loulug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:21:06 -0500

http://tlug.jp/articles/Windows_Is_Free

As a long time user of Windows and Mac, who has switched to
Linux, I can tell you that any debate based on feature,
security, or stability comparisons between Linux, Mac, and
Windows is a battle of gray perceptions, not black and white
certainties. As such, they are eclipsed entirely by the
issue of the market distortions of software piracy.

You can prefer one or the other for any reason you like. But
to convince me that Linux isn't good enough to take for
free, you'd have to not only show me side-by-side comparison
where Windows did what Linux couldn't, but, more
importantly, I won't even start the discussion with you
unless you show me your proof of purchase (for every copy of
Windows you have for personal use, and all your
applications) to convince me that in your mind the features
you're comparing were actually worth 200 US dollars or more.