[louisianaleps] Eddie Jones Park, Caddo Parish

  • From: jftrahan <jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Louisiana Leps <louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:49:12 -0700 (PDT)

I spent 3 hours in Eddie Jones Park this afternoon.  The sun was shining and
the
temperature was in the mid eighties.  There were lots of skippers.  Southern
broken-dashes, northern broken-dashes, little glassywings, dun skippers and
lace-winged roadside skippers were very numerous and nectaring on elephantopus.

There were so many skippers that as I walked up to the nectar plants, they
would
scatter which made it very difficult to identify and count accurately.  I'm
sure
that all of my numbers on these species are probably low.  In the fall,
elephantopus is a fantastic nectar plant, particularly for skippers.  The best
butterfly was probably the ceraunus blue which is the fourth that I have seen
in
this park this fall.  There is a very numerous brood of lace-winged roadside
skippers this year which as usual is occurring in September.  I could have
found
several hundred of these with a little additional effort. The complete list is
below.

I again had Dorantes' and long-tailed skippers in my yard today.  They seem to
be fairly numerous this fall.

2 Clouded Skipper
1 Southern Skipperling
1 Fiery Skipper