[louisianaleps] Cameron Parish Butterfliles--September 4

  • From: jftrahan <jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Louisiana Leps <louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 11:27:50 -0700

Rosemary Seidler, Charlie Lyon and I drove to Cameron Parish Wednesday to find
butterflies and birds.  We visited Pintail Loop, Rutherford Woods,
Broussard Beach, East Jetty Woods, and Peveto Woods.  We intended to go
to Lighthouse Road, but ran out of time--too bad.  There were absolutely no
butterflies at Pintail Loop but we did get a Crested Caracara.
Broussard Beach had three new species for Charlie (western pygmy blue,
great southern white, and oabscure skipper).  We visited East Jetty
Woods because of Dave's recent report.  There were more species of
butterfly there than anywhere else and we got a new species for Charlie
(southern skipperling).  Peveto Woods might have had more butterflies,
but the deer flies and mosquitoes were too bad to stay there very long.  The
complete list is below.

Jeff Trahan
Shreveport

BroussardBeach  0.5 hrs