[louisianaleps] Cameron Butterflies, Bay Skipper

  • From: Dave Patton <davepatton122@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Charles Lyon <lyon5516@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Marks, Craig" <cwmaplc@xxxxxxx>, Marty Floyd <progne99@xxxxxxx>, "Muth, David" <MuthD@xxxxxxx>, Phillip Wallace <PhillipWallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Seidler, Rosemary" <rseidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>, "Trahan, Jeff" <jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LA Leps <louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:06:04 -0500

I spent yesterday in Peveto Woods, but stopped a few times in the morning
as I traveled through Sabine NWR. I stopped at the Blue Goose Trail and the
By Ways pull off between the headquarters and the Sabine Nature Trail. It
was 9 AM and a few butterflies were out warming in the sun. I found A
couple of Bay Skippers and Delaware Skippers at both locations. These are
the traditional locations passed along to me by Craig Marks and Jeff
Trahan. I saw Bays at the By Ways pull off at this time last year.
Otherwise the action was a little slow. The Obscure Skippers, Eufala
Skippers, and Salt Marsh Skippers from 2 weeks ago were almost gone with
only a few worn Eufalas seen. A butterfly new for me in Cameron Parish was
a Brazilian Skipper in Peveto Woods, but I could not get a photo. It was
zooming around and I finally got a look when it stopped to feed on a
Morning Glory.

Cameron Parish
Sept 21, 2014
Blue Goose Trail, Peveto Woods, Beach Higway 82

Pipevine ST  -  6
Giant ST  -  7
Little Yellow  -  3
Cloudless Sulphur  -  8