[louisianaleps] 4/21/13 sightings within KIsatchie NF, Natch. and Rapides Parish

  • From: Craig Marks <cwmaplc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, kncunning@xxxxxxxxxxxx, fcjgmarks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 13:50:49 -0400 (EDT)

I started yesterday at Kisatchie in Natchitoches Parish. I went straight to the
back fields off of Forest Road 345. It was cool with a pleasant breeze. The
fields had been mowed when last there in March, but both have grown
considerable since then with a large amount of red clover growing. While there
are alot of flowers blooming, the area needs some rain. I was in that general
area from 10:15 to 1:30.

A Pipevine ST (mostly in the two fields at red clover)
1 E. Tiger ST
5 Spicebush ST
3 Palamedes ST
2 Zebra ST (summer form)
3 Cloudless Suls
2 Orange Suls
1 Phaon Cres
4 Pearl Cres
9 Common Buckeyes
10 Am. Ladies
1 Hoary Edge
A No. CWs (everywhere)
4 So. CWs
1 Confused CW
3 Whirlabouts
4 Clouded Sks
4 Dusted Sks
5 Swarthy Sks
1 Strecker's GS (a fresh female roosting in the grass).

At 1:30, I drove from Natchitoches Parish to the Kisatchie unit in Rapides
Parish on Castor Plunge Road. The wild indigo here was much further along than
in Natch. Parish, with most actually putting forth blooms while none were
blooming at the former location. Also, this location had clearly had some
recent rain. Despite that, there were fewer b/fs in this location. I was at
this location from 2:30-4:15. I ended with a total of 24 species.

1 Pipevine
2 Cloudless Suls
15 Pearl Cres
8 Am. Ladies