[londonlaw-users] Re: my archive

  • From: Paul Pelzl <pelzlpj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: londonlaw-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:05:46 -0500

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 03:33:34PM -0600, Conor Davis wrote:
> Paul Pelzl wrote:
>
> >[...]
> >
> >So, at this point, I guess I'd be inclined to continue working off my
> >server code.  But if you have any compelling arguments in favor of
> >switching to your server, I'd like to hear them.
> >

> Fine by me. There are some bits from my server that I think are worth
> keeping:
>
>    * Optional tags

Yes.  That would simplify debugging.

>    * Using the client state + command name to find the correct method
>      to call for a given command

Can you elaborate on that?  My server has one method per command... are
you just suggesting that those methods should be broken up into smaller
functions?

>    * Raising exceptions to indicate command failure or bad commands

Agreed.

> >I think a rigid command syntax will be adequate for our needs.  Rather
> >than accepting optional arguments, we can just use different commands
> >for different numbers of args.  For example, I am using command "join"
> >to enter a new game room (no password required), and "rejoin" to enter
> >an old in-progress game (password required).  Similarly, command "move"
> >vs. "doublemove".  The number of options is pretty limited, so I think
> >using multiple commands is a good solution.
> >

> What if a variant wants to allow for, say, a triple move?

Well, frankly, I can't imagine allowing a triple move.  That could
easily carry someone halfway across the map!  But, hypothetically speaking,
it wouldn't be a big deal to have N different move commands for, say,
N <= 4.  And aside from that issue, I am having a hard time thinking of
commands which need to have more flexibility.

> My server is rigid because the command dispatch framework is responsible
> for validating the number and content of the arguments. If, instead, the
> actual command routine validates the arguments, then we can be more
> flexible.

In my server, the command routines validate the arguments.  So it would
be possible to be more flexible, if necessary.

Paul