[lit-ideas] Re: w*

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 19:07:56 +0000 (UTC)

>It is surely contradictory for Donal to argue that pain, as a mental
>experience, belongs to W2, but also to argue that it is 'really' located in
>the brain and not in the tooth. If it is W2 then it cannot really be located
>anywhere. Donal should clarify his position if he expects a constructive
>reply.>
I agree it would appear contradictory to argue (1) pain belongs to W2 but (2)
that pain also is located within the W1 brain and (3) W2 is located in a way
distinct to anything located in W1 [i.e. W2 events, like conscious pain, do not
share the identical spatio-temporal location of any W1 events].
 I also agree that there is a large and unresolved problem as to the 'location'
of consciousness, and thus of W2. I would also agree there is a large and
unresolved problem as to the 'location' of W3 or W3 contents. But these
admittedly large and unresolved problems are far from conclusive arguments
against the independence of W2 and of W3 from W1.
I don't intend to suggest a solution to these large problems but here clarify
that Popper's position is that W3 "exists but exists nowhere" and that W2 is
located not within W1 but somehow adjacent to the W1 brain.

It seems that we have no obvious model for locating anything in space and time
except in the way we seek to locate W1 objects within W1: and this creates an
admitted problem, for there is a lack of any clear model for how we 'locate' W2
or W3 in these terms.
Despite this, it seems overwhelmingly the case that consciousness exists; and
though it is less overwhelming, the strong case is that consciousness is
distinct from being a mere W1 process - for there is no analogue of
consciousness in any W1 processes as these are conceived by science.

So we quickly reach one of the immense and weird imponderables of the mind-body
problem, that have given rise to very different reactions - including that
radical materialism, a la Quine, that takes consciousness to be merely an
illusion. But if consciousness is not simply an illusion, the mind-body
dichotomy surfaces in all its presently unsolvable strangeness. There is no
present possible position without strangeness - the radical materialist, in
denying consciousness, is one of the strangest. Against the strangeness of
these alternative positions [e.g. panpsychism] it might seem less strange to
accept the admitted strangeness of accepting a W3 and a W2 that cannot readily
be 'located', and certainly not 'located' in W1 terms.

DnlLdn

     On Monday, 26 January 2015, 9:20, Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  <!--#yiv1838388529 _filtered #yiv1838388529 {font-family:Helvetica;panose-1:2
11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;} _filtered #yiv1838388529 {font-family:Helvetica;panose-1:2
11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;} _filtered #yiv1838388529 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2
15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv1838388529 {font-family:Tahoma;panose-1:2 11
6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}#yiv1838388529  #yiv1838388529 p.yiv1838388529MsoNormal,
#yiv1838388529 li.yiv1838388529MsoNormal, #yiv1838388529
div.yiv1838388529MsoNormal
{margin:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New
Roman", "serif";}#yiv1838388529 a:link, #yiv1838388529
span.yiv1838388529MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1838388529 a:visited, #yiv1838388529
span.yiv1838388529MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1838388529
span.yiv1838388529EmailStyle17 {font-family:"Calibri",
"sans-serif";color:#1F497D;text-decoration:none none;}#yiv1838388529
.yiv1838388529MsoChpDefault {font-family:"Calibri", "sans-serif";} _filtered
#yiv1838388529 {margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}#yiv1838388529
div.yiv1838388529WordSection1 {}-->In fact Popper (when I read him) was very
confused, this w(hat? World? ‘was’?) stuff is space time located or not?