[lit-ideas] Re: third world

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:56:29 -0500

At 11:56 AM 11/5/2004, you wrote:

><<Yes  there are, we just don't refer to them as such.
>Industrialized  World
>Developing Nations
>Third world countries>>
>Yeah, I'm questioning the  nomenclature.

Story 1)

Years ago, on my way to visit Mt. Robson (British Columbia) I stopped for a
drink by the side of the road one day at a little canteen . I looked at the
menu and they had "Med." and "Large" soft drinks. I asked the student
working her summer there "how can you have a medium without a small and a
large?" She punched me in the face and said "NEXT!"

Story 2)

After having his new furnace installed, my friend called me and said "why
would anyone want a 'low-efficiency' furnace?"

Some things are relative to something which is not proportionally, strictly
nomenclaturely correct. I'm sure that political correctness dissuades us
from using such a snobby title as "1st world" country for our own. Besides,
I live in a devoloping nation.

paul