[lit-ideas] Re: remeMbering 1906

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:49:30 EST

<<That  initiated the most hair-raising, speed crazed ride I have ever
experienced.>>
You never rode with my Father who,  before seat-belts were invented, thought
nothing of passing at 90 mph (an  acceptable highway speed then -- but I'm
dating myself) on a double-yellow lined  hairpin curve in the mountains,
narrowly
missing both the oncoming semi and the  fall-off cliff on the right.  It was
a sport to him; sort of a macho  contest.  Plus an opportunity to see how
scared Mom could get.
As children, we learned to close our  eyes in the car a lot.
Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: remeMbering 1906
Date: 1/16/2007 3:18:06 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>today, you are lucky if you can get over  10 mph in most cities

You should have told that to Khan Tarioul -- I  remember his name still
-- a taxi driver I encountered in the early  '90s.

Some friends and I were wandering at night in the outer Village, on  Jane
Street, and we suddenly realized we had 15 minutes to catch our  bus.

I flagged a cab and told the driver I would give him an extra twenty  if
he could get us to the Port Authority, south building 8th Avenue side,
in ten minutes.

That initiated the most hair-raising, speed crazed  ride I have ever
experienced. At twice the limit, he snaked through the  slower Village
traffic, at one point going up on a curb to pass a  double-parked
vehicle, until he hit Sixth avenue. The it was rocket time,  weaving from
lane to lane at 60 mph, squealing to a stop at 23rd and making  a left
across three lanes of traffic, his horn imitating Debussy's repeated
note etude, through a red light at Seventh, into a squealing, braking
sliding turn up Eighth Avenue. Then he floored it, passing everyone,
even passing a flashing police car in pursuit, cutting against four
lanes to park in front of the PABT. "We in time," she smiled.

After I  unclenched my cold cramped hands from the armrests, resisting
the urge to  vomit, I crawled out and paid him fare and tip. We made the
bus with five  minutes to  spare.