[lit-ideas] Re: remeMbering 1906

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:16:50 -0500

>>today, you are lucky if you can get over 10 mph in most cities

You should have told that to Khan Tarioul -- I remember his name still -- a taxi driver I encountered in the early '90s.

Some friends and I were wandering at night in the outer Village, on Jane Street, and we suddenly realized we had 15 minutes to catch our bus.

I flagged a cab and told the driver I would give him an extra twenty if he could get us to the Port Authority, south building 8th Avenue side, in ten minutes.

That initiated the most hair-raising, speed crazed ride I have ever experienced. At twice the limit, he snaked through the slower Village traffic, at one point going up on a curb to pass a double-parked vehicle, until he hit Sixth avenue. The it was rocket time, weaving from lane to lane at 60 mph, squealing to a stop at 23rd and making a left across three lanes of traffic, his horn imitating Debussy's repeated note etude, through a red light at Seventh, into a squealing, braking sliding turn up Eighth Avenue. Then he floored it, passing everyone, even passing a flashing police car in pursuit, cutting against four lanes to park in front of the PABT. "We in time," she smiled.

After I unclenched my cold cramped hands from the armrests, resisting the urge to vomit, I crawled out and paid him fare and tip. We made the bus with five minutes to spare.