[lit-ideas] Re: poems - Mayakovsky

  • From: "Mirembe Nantongo" <nantongo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 07:50:54 +0100

The poem's title is "But Could You?" according to this site, which has it &
several other Mayakovsky poems in both Russian and English:

http://mayakovsky.com/maya/mayent.htm

Here's the translation at the site (it doesn't say who the translator is):

<><><><>

But Could You?                   by Vladimir Mayakovsky

I blurred at once the chart of trite routine
by splashing paint with one swift motion.
I showed upon a plate of brawny glutin
the slanting cheekbones of the ocean
Upon the scales of tinny fishes
new lips summoned, though yet mute.
But could you
play
right to the finish
a nocturne on a drainpipe flute?

<><><><>

Thanks to Julie for this one! All best, MN