[lit-ideas] Re: pleonastic,translated as redundant

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 17:12:10 +0900

Doesn't sound redundant to me. There's an overlap in meaning, but the
phrases "for the time being" and "on the back burner" aren't synonymous in
my idiolect. Consider the difference between, "For the time being, I have
put that aside" (I am not even thinking about it) and "For the time being,
it's on the back burner" (still cooking, just not the focus of attention at
the moment."
John

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> David: Do carry on.
>

> I just wrote to someone: "For the time being it's on the back burner."
>
> Was that a redundant sentence?
>
> Full disclosure: the complete text of my message was: "For the time being
> it's on the back burner. (Is that a redundant sentence?)"
>
> Does my calling attention to its redundancy make the sentence even more
> redundant? And in the meta-narrative of this post, asking this very
> question, am I further increasing the redundancy of that sentence?
>
> Are there degrees of redundancy? Can one statement be more tautological
> than another tautological statement? Is the phrase "listening-type music"
> more or less redundant than the abstract "A=A when A=A"?
>
> Is the notion of the self the ultimate redundancy?
>
> And what's this curious sense of a relation between redundancy and
> repetition?
>
> Where would any art be without repetition? No first movement of Beethoven's
> Pastoral Symphony. No series of Rembrandt self-portraits. No villanelles,
> refrains, or sestinas.  Forget all those Rodin Balzacs. Just a bunch of rude
> and impatient people demanding something new ... but only once.

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN
Tel. +81-45-314-9324
jlm@xxxxxxxxxxxx