[lit-ideas] pleonastic,translated as redundant

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 02:40:53 -0500

David: Do carry on.

I just wrote to someone: "For the time being it's on the back burner."

Was that a redundant sentence?

Full disclosure: the complete text of my message was: "For the time being it's on the back burner. (Is that a redundant sentence?)"

Does my calling attention to its redundancy make the sentence even more redundant? And in the meta-narrative of this post, asking this very question, am I further increasing the redundancy of that sentence?

Are there degrees of redundancy? Can one statement be more tautological than another tautological statement? Is the phrase "listening-type music" more or less redundant than the abstract "A=A when A=A"?

Is the notion of the self the ultimate redundancy?

And what's this curious sense of a relation between redundancy and repetition?

Where would any art be without repetition? No first movement of Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony. No series of Rembrandt self-portraits. No villanelles, refrains, or sestinas. Forget all those Rodin Balzacs. Just a bunch of rude and impatient people demanding something new ... but only once.