[lit-ideas] Re: oops again.

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:26:10 -0400

Our heat has let up. Chilly overnight, even. When I have to work in the heat, I drape a wrung-out, but still cold and wet, towel across my shoulders, soaking my dress etc. The fan feels ever so much better that way. In Athens many years ago, I remember sleeping with a wet towel for a blanket. (Couldn't afford a room with an air-conditioner.)
Off to Europe on Sunday...hope the heat wave there is over...
Ursula

Judith Evans wrote:

I eat ice cubes... I'm not sure they help. I don't know whether the
theory about hot tea (or curry) helping (because then you'll sweat more)
is correct or not. Carol's right, close the blinds, particularly in south-facing rooms. (etc., though I've
never thrown drinking water over my head). Don't open
the windows in the heat of the day. A fan just over ice cubes is supposed
to be good (I haven't found that, because the ice cubes melt too quickly).
Take siestas!
Judy