[lit-ideas] Re: of liver, evil, and John W's tag-line

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 06:20:50 -0800 (PST)

I agree, onions and garlic are sublime.

I appreciate your observation that I like the idea of Obama being
elected.  Yes, I also like the reality of Obama being elected.  I think, like
you, I'm having a problem believing it actually happened.  I'm also
extremely pessimistic about the future.  I just don't see what anybody can do.
When people become disillusioned that the economy is, as I believe it
is, irretrievably broken, they'll blame Obama.  It'll be just another of God's
little jokes.

If anybody can do anything, I know Obama can, because this has to be a group
effort, as in the world, and he pulls people together like no other.  But I
don't know that anybody can do anything.  On the other hand, he already did the
impossible.  He's a black man who got elected in racist America, so maybe he
can do another impossible, pull this economy out.  But the PTB, the Fed, has
their own agenda and he has no choice but to go along.

The real problem is in the ignorance of the American people.  If we had a media
that disseminated news and information, and people had something to hang that
information on, i.e., understood what it means to borrow two billion dollars a
day just for basic functioning, or even to know it was happening, and to
understand what the tax cuts are about and who's reaping what benefit and who
loses, and how ridiculous and exploitive this war in Iraq is, and on and on,
nothing like this could ever have happened.  But that's the whole point, isn't
it, that the people are kept willfully ignorant so that in these last eight
years the evil just ran wild as the people were exhorted to go shopping.

So yes, I like Obama being elected.  It's just that the horses are gone, the
barn is empty.  But, Obama's already done one impossible thing.  Maybe he can
do two.  Let's hope.

--- On Thu, 11/6/08, Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have had no personal encounter with calf brains, kidneys, or tripe, pig's
feet, gizzards, or hearts.  My Mother once, when I was a child, purchased a cow
tongue because she was curious to know how it tasted.  She followed Betty
Crocker's (or some equivalent) instructions in preparing it.  By the time she
had peeled the layer of skin off she was almost to ill to cook it.  I think it
did end up in the oven, but I am absolutely sure it never made it to the
table.  She used to do liver & onions as a special treat for my Dad -- one
whiff of the odor was enough to make me and my brothers hide in corners.
Actually, later, I came to think the odor was rather pleasant, but I still
won't eat it because there is this incredibly grainy, sandy, texture to it --
for those of you who partake of animal organs, is that peculiar to the liver or
is it a trait of internal organs in general?

When Mom cooked a turkey for Thanksgiving or what have you, the internal organs
they pack inside in the little pouch were always diced up into her gravy.

I don't do that.  My dog & cats get them instead.  They lend an almost .....
sour?.....not really bitter...a taste I can't define but do not like.

Okra is also evil -- I'm so sorry, Mike, but some things simply must be said.

Re. grilling vs. barbecuing -- grilling in my world takes place under the
broiler in an oven.  Barbecuing takes place out doors over coals.  ?

I never, never, ever meant to diss onions.  It was the LIVER part of the liver
& onions to which I referred (I said liverandonions in the same breath because
I haven't encountered liver prepared w/out onions).  Onions simply have become
an unfortunate part of the rather ugly liver as edible notion.

Onions are one of nature's finest gifts.  I adore baking them with liberal
amounts of butter, salt, & pepper, and sometimes throwing in some heads of
garlic also (baked the garlic does not have the lasting breath-pungency
normally associated with it).

Red onions in salads.  Sauteed onions with anything and everything.  Just say
yes to onions.

But more ubiquitous must be garlic.  I have a hard time thinking of something I
cook that I don't put garlic in, barring deserts.

For the most die-hard fans of garlic out there, the Frugal Gourmet actually has
a recipe for home-made garlic ice-cream which he swears, despite the somewhat
shocking notion, is sweet and delicious.

No, I have not tried it.

Chicken liver wrapped in bacon reminds me of the scallops my Mother used to
grill, bacon-wrapped.  There was something about the taste of scallops that
invariably and for no good reason made me immediately ill.  As in nauseated
rush to the bathroom sink ill.  I'm a huge fan of seafood ... but there's
something unique about scallops.  Oddly, some grocery store many years ago was
handing out samples of fake crab meat.  It was devoid of scallops, but had
almost the identically sickening flavour.  I barely made it out of the building
in time.

Re. evil -- a good friend of mine, who makes both Michael Moore and Mike Geary
look like hard-core right-wing conservatives, says "...however I also believe
in evil and the power of lies and ignorance."  John Wager's signature line
suggests the same.  It's as good an explanation as any.

Irene -- your particular phrasing struck me -- you like "the idea" of Obama
being elected.  It makes me want to ask you how you feel about the fact of
Obama being elected.

Finally, "rehabilitating organ meats" by eating them is a striking and somewhat
disturbing notion.  I'm not sure "paradoxical" stretches and reaches that far.

de gustibus...