[lit-ideas] nofi, from https://philosophynow.org/issues/83/Hume_on_Is_and_Ought

  • From: palma <palmaadriano@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 18:59:55 +0200

given this inane liking of pop culture, I shall oblige by quoting a simple
popular article, that none the less is written by someone who knows what he
(was) talking about

this from Pigden, Charles

But is No-Ought-From-Is true? Not quite. It is an instance of the logical
principle that in a valid inference there can be no matter in the
conclusion that is not contained in the premises, and as the New Zealand
logician Arthur Prior pointed out this is not strictly correct. However,
what we can show is that if you have non-logical words in the conclusion of
a valid inference that do not appear in the premises they will be vacuous
in a certain sense and that in a logically valid argument you can’t get
anything non-vacuous out that you haven’t put in. This gives us
No-Non-Vacuous–Ought-From-Is which is close enough to the original NOFI to
sustain Hume’s key arguments. So for simplicity’s sake we will stick with
No-Ought-From-Is in its original form.

palma,   etheKwini, KZN

 palma

cell phone is 0762362391