[lit-ideas] Re: nobody was hurt

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 11:36:03 EDT

In a message dated 5/18/2009 10:55:20 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Possibly, as per the  identity theory, JLS's little dialogue has left
Strawon's mind spinning and also  his body in his grave.

----

Well, yes. And there is a further otiosity in English. The ending -thing in
 "anything", "something", "everything". I hardly see how "thing" has any to
do  with it.

In ebonics English, I am told, they are deleting the _thing_ already:

1889 W. H. HERNDON Let. 5 Jan. in E. Hertz Hidden Lincoln (1940) 233 Speed
about 1839-40 was keeping a pretty woman in this city, and Lincoln,
desirous to  have a little, said to Speed: ‘Speed, do you know where I can get
some?
’ 1971 E.  E. LANDY Underground Dict. 88 Get some.., obtain sexual
intercourse with  someone. 1978 J. KRANTZ Scruples vi. 173 Since his last visit
she
was getting  some, somewhere, he'd bet his life on it.

JLS

**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in
the U.S.