[lit-ideas] nobody was hurt

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 10:38:15 EDT

--- INTERVIEW WITH SIR PETER F.  STRAWSON.

Q: How did you come up with your idea of a  'person'
as a psycho-somatic  unity?

PFS: Well, during the War. We were constantly  being
bombed. From all directions:  the Hun, the Dagos,
everyone  seemed to be against us.

Q: Yes --  pathetic.

PFS: Exactly. And it wasn't like Warsaw. We were  in
the middle of nowhere in a  little French country
village in  Normandy -- not far from England,  matter
of  fact.

Q: They had no  consideration.

PFS:  No consideration. One day a bombed  exploded in
the outhouse. The  sargent said, "Anybody heard?"
"No, nobody heard" was _my_ reply. Years  later
I reflected on that: _I_ was  hurt: in my _soul_.

Q: But the Churchlands claim, in  their version of the
identity theory of the mind, that if the soul _is_  hurt
there is a  corresponding body-event which counts  as
a body  hurt.

Lady Ann (interrupting): More tea?

JLS

**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in