[lit-ideas] Re: "many of the usual marks of emotion were present in their beh...

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 16:33:02 -0500

As JL points out, there's the problem of anthropomorphizing emotion in
animals (non-human animals, of course -- since human animals have already
been anthropomorphed).  Humans, in fact are capable of "aping" a very wide
range of emotions -- the implicature being that humans are capable of
insincere emotional displays.  Are any other animals?   Is it possible for
animals to dissemble?   I don't know.  Could be. We tend to believe that
animals have no choice but to be honest in their behaviors, and in the
expressions accompanying such behaviors.  Maybe.  I wonder if animals
always take our motives at face value as we do them.  One contrary to all
this is the fact that opossums can "play" dead -- the implicature here is
that they cannot "play" alive -- I call it an implicature, don't know what
Grice would call it.  Don't care either.  How about them apples, JL?  Never
has anyone ever seen a dead opossum "play" alive.  In fact, never has any
animal (including humans) ever fooled anyone by playing alive.  However, I
know a guy down the street who once came upon was a huge "dead rat", "Lord
God" he says he said, "I'll be damned if that ain't the biggest damn rat I
ever seen."  Being of a Whitmanian religious bent, he naturally raised his
hands and prayed to God to bless the poor, dead, giant rat's soul.
Whereupon the "dead rat" stood up and sauntered off.  To this day he swears
he raised that rat from the dead. Most claim it was just an old opossum.
 His running rumming buddy Bo dismisses it all.  "Naw," he says, "that rat
was just playing alive."

Mike Geary
who, playing the Play Maker in Memphis,
is taking time off from human contact to
finish a play.

Later Dudesses and Dudes