[lit-ideas] Re: losers

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:37:28 EST

Hi,
<sigh>  Sorry about that!!

Here is what I had sent regarding the Losing Book:

Hi,
We have the book at 'book meeting' this month. (that's when we get  to see
the new books and decide whether or not to order them for our
branches/departments/etc.)  I now have a request for it via our ILL
department.
Here are a couple of other reviews:

It's a most  familiar refrain of American life: work hard and prosper. That
the dream of  triumphant prosperity so consistently and perplexingly eludes so
many, despite  heroic effort and toil, is, alas, also familiar. Hardly
surprising, argues  Carnegie Mellon historian Sandage: it turns out that
Americans
are much less  Andrew Carnegie and more Willy Loman. Why? In the early days of
the republic,  Protestant predestination and the uniquely democratic promise of
reward based on  a meritocracy of effort and talent unleashed the dynamic but
often unfocused  energies of untold numbers of self-styled frontier
entrepreneurs. By the 19th  century, the myth of the self-made man had become a
test of
identity and  self-worth. A few succeeded beyond their wildest expectations
but, says Sandage,  most Americans faced unexpected and heartbreaking ruin.
Sandage has done an  admirable job of culling diaries and letters to tell their
stories. Most  compelling are the "begging letters" written by women to
outstanding capitalists  on behalf of their ruined husbands. Regrettably, these
individual snapshots fail  to cohere into a fully comprehensive portrait of the
personal and social  psychology of failure. That failure diminished a man is
hardly revelatory, nor  does it constitute the level of specific historical
analysis one expects. 30  b&w photos; 30 b&w illus. (Jan.) Copyright 2004 Reed
Business  Information. Appeared in: Publishers Weekly, Nov 01, 2004 (c)
Copyright
2004,  Cahners Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier, Inc. All
Rights  Reserved.

In his first book, Sandage (history, Carnegie Mellon)  concentrates on "the
hidden history of pessimism in a culture of optimism" that  was 19th-century
America. This was the era when capitalism captivated much of  the nation's
consciousness, in some cases arguably for the better or, as the  author
emphasizes
here, for the worse. To show this underside of the American  dream, Sandage
plumbs the surprisingly rich sources of letters, diaries,  business records,
credit agency reports, and the intriguing "begging letters"  for financial
assistance sent to successful men. He thereby adds to the limited,  but
growing,
offerings in the field of failure studies represented by Edward  Balleisen's
Navigating Failure (2001) and Bruce Mann's Republic of Debtors  (2002). The
author
movingly describes the emotional toll that economic collapse  exacted on the
self-worth of men in that patriarchal age. He delineates general  changes over
time with financial default moving from an incident to an identity.  This
finely crafted and challenging treatise, enhanced by illustrations, would  make
substantive contribution to academic libraries seeking to develop their
gender studies as well as intellectual and cultural history
collections.-Frederick J. Augustyn Jr., Library of Congress Copyright 2004 Reed
 Business
Information. Appeared in: Library Journal, Oct 01, 2004 (c) Copyright  2004,
Cahners
Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier, Inc. All Rights  Reserved.

On the request list,
Marlena in Missouri