[lit-ideas] Re: influencing elections?

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 00:53:26 EDT

In a message dated 5/26/2004 12:10:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
JulieReneB@xxxxxxx writes:
And here I thought this list was all about ignoring the obvious....
It often is.
Thinking of the old contingency theory of modeling disaster so as to be able
to cope with it. Maybe in some way we have already accepted the next attack,
as a way of coping with it?

Eric

PS: Today in midtown I passed several contingents of cops in body armor,
toting M-16s. Turned the corner onto Broadway, and -- surprise!-- heavily armed
troops holding court. Can't recall ever having seen that many M-16s in one
place. Obviously posted there as some form of public reassurance. But
reassurance
of what? You can't shoot a cloud of anthrax or radioactive particles. Well,
okay, you can shoot the cloud, but it doesn't help much.