[lit-ideas] Re: global luke-warming

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 11:59:25 EDT

In a message dated 4/14/2006 5:10:14 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
teme17@xxxxxxxxx writes:

The  usual wackos have stepped up the propaganda,
ExxonMobil's recent finansing  push might have
something to do with it.

HI,
Yes...follow the money. I only started and didn't get too far--but don't
have much time these days for some of this.  But, I started looking  at the
people on the board of the Hudson Institute (Which from what I can  find in
annual
reports - though their latest one is 2003 online, is only about  $15,000 given
to the Hudson Institute)  But, one of their main Board of  Directors is also
on the Board of Directors of the Competitive Enterprise  Institute--which
received about $450,000 plus from Exxon-Mobil. (other Board of  Directors of
the
Hudson Institute include someone who is on the Board of  Directors for
Ford--and I didn't go through all of them, actually)

So, yes--would pause and think about who is writing about global warming  and
how they are putting food on the table.  . It's an extremely important  thing
to do and I do not begrudge anyone who feels that they have to deal with
succumbing to corporate interests in order to do so. It is, after all, turning
into the American Way of Life. We are, after all, living in the Corporate
American States now...<sigh>...hard to deal with when one wants to be
independent
but 'oh, well'...

Still--it's always nice to know who is coming from which point of view and
why...

Especially when here in Western Missouri we had an extremely mild Winter  and
beginning of April is already reaching heights of temperature in the
mid-80s.  A bit unseasonably high--what was the upside of global warming in
Winter
might not be so pleasant this summer if it continues in this trend. It  would
be nice if the thinktanks and oil and energy industries were correct and  this
is all a figment of our imagination.  For the sake of my child and  those to
come--I hope so.  Believing in being prepared, though, I still  appreciate John
and Eric's not having a car, Brazil's creativity in looking at  how to do the
ethanol thing (and reminded of how, initially, the gas with  ethanol in it
was for a short time cheaper than the other--until people started  talking
about
it and now it is no longer true...wonder if that happened anywhere  else...or
just because we are so close to Kansas where many farmers have wanted  for
years to play more with this concept and not been able to do so for lack of
financing, etc.)

Speaking of corporate interest in journalism...One of the former Hudson
Institute people was recently written up in Business Week (and thus basically
fired from Scripps-Howard News as someone with expertise on bio-technology)
which was doing a piece on so-called journalists who have taken money from
various corporations who have vested interests in the areas that the
journalists
are writing about ... the person had, while with the Hudson Institute, received

a 'grant' from Monsanto to write about how great biotechnology was for
people...He may believe it and so his extremely positive articles since working

for Scripps-Howard may just be a reflection on that belief system--but the
conflict of interest was shaky enough that under the pretense of journalism
being
non-partial and looking at all sides of an issue was enough to cause him  to
have to leave...

Probably kept his kids in shoes, though--and that was important.   Liked this
piece of this post:

"We are not attuned to things on this time scale and
with this level of  uncertainty. Partly because of our
political system being so short term, our  business
cycle being so short term, and because our concerns
are focused  mainly on what affects my family, then
what affects my community, then what  affects my state,
then what affects my country, and then what affects  my
globe.

Thanks for all the links--and thanks, Omar, for the piece  on how China is at
least looking at their country in a bit of the long-term with  the
environment...interesting thought of what will happen to the environment if
they follow
the practice of non-regulatory environmental methods...would be  major,
wouldn't it?

Best,
Marlena in Missouri