[lit-ideas] Re: global luke-warming

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 15:48:55 -0400

Eric, how do you explain the record breaking profits of the oil industry
during Katrina and now? They earn $75,000 per minute in profits. How do
you explain it?

What do you mean how do "I" explain it? I'm posting contrary positions to see how they are explained by others. I'm not doing any explaining, just questioning. To me it looks like we're all hostages to corporations.

Here, for example, is how Forbes explains oil profits and big oil's need to horde them.

In a sense, America should be happy to see those profits; they imply that America's energy supply system is efficient. If Big Oil wasn't making money in a time of record energy prices, then we'd really have a problem.

[BUT bad guys like Hillary want windfall profits tax, etc.]

A windfall profits tax on the oil industry would be a disaster to America's long-term energy health. It would give companies big incentive to simply reduce investment in gas-guzzling America and instead focus on getting oil and gas to the fast growing populations of China and India. And what happens if and when the oil patch goes bust? Will taxpayers then subsidize Chevron's....

http://www.forbes.com/business/2005/10/28/exxon-chevron-oil-cz_ch_1028windfall.html