[lit-ideas] for want of a nail...

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:46:58 EDT

I woke up with the for-want-of-a-nail ditty in my head and set about
wondering where and when it originated.  Googled for histories of nursery
rhymes.  You
can find as many conflicting and believable and absurd alleged origins of
nursery rhymes out there as hairs on your head.  Someone in this milieu must
know
some good solid reference.  It's not that it really matters.  Just that
suddenly ring around a rosey and humpty dumpty need a reason.  Or rather ...
there
are all these adorable darling little sweet-sounding things we sing to our
children which seem to have arisen out of grisly circumstances and it seems a
metaphor for something or symbolic of some societal phenomenon and I'm not sure
what I'm looking for.
Julie Krueger