[lit-ideas] Re: faith and politics

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:33:37 -0400

If there are Christians campaigning about something I wasn’t aware of it, but
there isn’t anything wrong with that either.  That’s also the way we do things
in a Liberal Democracy.  We campaign, opinionate, protest and vote.  But we
don’t “intrude” in the way the church did before the Peace of Westphalia.

Lawrence

My whole point Lawrence was that fundamentalists do intrude into the lives of
people who don't share their beliefs.

Did you read Marlena's first post re this topic?  Among other things, they
intrude into family issues that are not any of their business.   I gave
examples and you accused me of

advocating licentiousness.  Silly,  to say the least.

Among other things, the right of privacy is denied in some quarters.  Witness
the sad case of Ms. Terry Schiavo.

I started this whole thing not by objecting to anyone voicing her opinion but
placing these opinions into laws that affect everyone who does not share this
faith based opinion.  Which is another way of saying you will do what I think
my God wants or else.

I have another concern here.  Because the country is divided more or less in
half, I see another civil war coming sooner or later over religion and it's
crippling hand over our lives.  Not us, but our grandchildren.

Veronica

  From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Religion and politics

  Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:02:04 -0700

  Nonsense Veronica.  Christian Fundamentalists do not intrude themselves

  into

  public policy decisions.  They voice their opinions.  No one is even

  campaigning

  for a Christian position since Falwell died.  Most of them believe

  fervently in

  the separation of church and state like the rest of us.  Most of them,

  if they

  are hard-core Fundamentalists, won’t run for office because “the

  time is

  near.�

  My point was that they DO voice their opinions--and do very much have

  an agenda.  I actually did not mean to say that it was 'good' or 'bad'

  that they did so. I was just trying to point out that they are doing

  so--and who some of the major players still are

  You are correct--that is not all of them nor is it the ones who have

  been trying to rise up and create an opposite "Christian" point of

  view--like the 86 Christian evangelicals who signed a global initiative

  dealing with global warmingpeople like Rick Warren come to mind-but it

  was argued against bof the more Far Right Christian

  Fundamentalists--see the NY Times article at

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/08/national/08warm.html?_r=1&ex=1155787200&en=19d0c89eb3b4f5c6&ei=5070&oref=slogin

     Peope like Brian McCla

  ren have gone through alot of criticism for not

  holding fast to the fundamentalist agenda but still focusing very

  strongly on doctrine [the emerging church world--  Not to mention

  people like Jim Wallis who has always been active in trying to turn the

  focus of the Christian agenda towards the caretaking of the living--in

  very different ways than the fundamentalists

  You are absolutely right--we do tend to bring our belief system to the

  table--as people like Former Sen Jack Danforth have stated in his book

  Faith and Politics.

  But, Jerry Falwell, while raising the bar and pushing forward the

  agenda of the Far Right, is by no means the only leader in that world.

  (Nor is Pat Robertson)

  Best,

  Marlena

6:56 AM