[lit-ideas] anecdote of the authoritarian professor

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:36:48 EST

I asked my friend to supply the story of the difficult professor and have
copied it below. It proves nothing, but illustrates difficulties with one
professor. -Eric
____
... old story indeed ... he was teaching a class on the American Renaissance
(Hawthorne, Poe, Melville, Emerson, etc.) and suddenly one fine day began to
rhapsodize about the perfection of the Maoist system ... said, with a dreamy
utopian look in his eyes, that Mao made the intellectuals work in the fields
with the peasants for six months out of the year ... like an idiot, I burst out
laughing, imagining this guy being forced out into the fields by Bush Sr. (prez
at the time) to work with the farmers ... dead silence, passage of deep
geologic time ... felt like the last human, finally spotted by the pod people
the prof fixed me with the coldest glare you can imagine, and I just smiled and
shrugged ... he then went on with his lecture, and I got a C at the end of
the semester, the lowest grade I ever got in an English course ... moral: when
around fundamentalist cultists, don't laugh ...
not really much of a parable for that list of yours; I doubt they'd be
impressed ... a C is not much of a punishment really ... today I'd probably be
reeducated in a sensitivity course, serves me right ... outtahere