[lit-ideas] Re: anecdote of the authoritarian professor

  • From: John Burt <burt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:10:56 -0500

I don't think Mao is much idealized in the academy now, but I know
there are still some admirers around.  It was one thing to do so before
the full story of the Great Leap Forward came out. Certainly as late as
the early 1980's the dimensions of that disaster were not generally
known in the West (they were a surprise to me). It's another thing now.
I don't know when Eric's friend took this course, but I wonder if the
professor involved still thinks what s/he is reported to have thought.
John Burt