[lit-ideas] Re: Zebari worries about Obama back in June

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 20:58:34 -0700

Phil, Phil, Phil!:  Let's take the elements in the article step by step:

"Mr. Zebari, who has served as foreign minister in every Iraqi government
since 2003, finds Mr. Obama's proposal worrying. In a meeting with Post
editors and reporters Tuesday, he said that after all the pain and
sacrifices of the past five years, "we are just turning the corner in Iraq."
A precipitous withdrawal, he said, "would create a huge vacuum and undo all
the gains and achievements."

Also, "But Mr. Obama has not altered his position: He still proposes
withdrawing most U.S. troops according to a fixed timetable, set to the most
rapid pace at which commanders have said American forces could be pulled
out."

Did Obama propose that to Zebari?  We conclude yes because Zebari said he
"finds Mr. Obama's proposal worrying."

Zebari responds to Obama: "Mr. Zebari says he believes U.S. forces can and
should be drawn down. His point is that reductions should be made gradually,
as the Iraqi army becomes stronger."

Zebari then says, ". . . he was reassured by the candidate's response, which
caused him to think that Mr. Obama might not differ all that much from Mr.
McCain."

Let me summarize:  Obama presented his plan.  Zebari countered with his
concerns.  Obama responded further.  We aren't told what that response was,
but Zebari concluded he had changed Obama's mind and that Obama at the end
was close to McCain's position.

Foreign Policy was discussed between a Foreign Minister of another country
and someone not entitled to conduct foreign policy.  Give and take occurred.
The Foreign Minister was at the end convinced that Obama had been persuaded
by his arguments.

Lawrence Helm