[lit-ideas] Re: Zebari worries about Obama back in June

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:35:42 +0700

Lawrence is simply wrong about the Post article and the relationship
between Zebari and Obama.

Lawrence wrote:

"This article shows that Zebari, the Iraqi Foreign Minister was
worried about Obama back in June.  Sounds like Obama had been
attempting to conduct foreign policy for some time.  Zebari obviously
doesn't trust Obama.  So forget about Zebari sticking up for him."

Here is a quote from the final paragraph of the article to which
Lawrence refers.

"The foreign minister [i.e. Zebari] said "my message" to Mr. Obama
"was very clear. . . . Really, we are making progress. I hope any
actions you will take will not endanger this progress." He said he was
reassured by the candidate's response, which caused him to think that
Mr. Obama might not differ all that much from Mr. McCain."

Zebari says that he doesn't think there is much difference between
Obama and McCain.  And nothing in the article even remotely suggested
Obama was conducting foreign policy.  The article says something very
different from what Lawrence claims.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Yogyakarta, Indonesia