[lit-ideas] Zadie Smith's history of Europe

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:54:35 -0700

This morning I received the following communication from Amazon.com:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

We've noticed that customers who have purchased "On Beauty" by Zadie
Smith [a very bad novel about academic life] have also ordered "Postwar: A
History of Europe Since 1945" by Tony Judt. For this reason, you might like to
know that Tony Judt's "Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945" is now
available. You can
order your copy for just $13.60 ($6.40 off the list price) by following
the link below.

I think that here we have a clear example of the kind of zany correlation that
'recent studies' showing 'a link' between e. g. wearing Harris tweed jackets
and bipolar disorder are based on. (However, there's increasing evidence of a
strong positive correlation between blinking and closing one's eyes.)

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute