[lit-ideas] Re: Your Favorite Misnomer

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 21:10:31 EDT

In a message dated 9/2/2004 1:39:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> We  used to have a bookcase in the front hall with a piece of red
>  carpeting on the top -- a landing place for keys, glasses, mail and  bits
> of this and that on its way from one place to another.  At  least fifteen
> years ago, the bookcase was replaced, moved down the  hall and covered by
> a new carpet, not red at all.  To this day we  all still say, "I'll leave
> it on the red carpet for you."    You just don't mess with things like
> that...

I like that.   I like the notion that names can overtake their referent.
Someday I'll sit  down and cogitate what that all means.  How much of our
lives are  spent reverencing names that have become thier own  referent?

----

Interesting way of putting.

Reminds me of J. S. Mill's discussion in _System of Logic_. He is
distinguishing between a connotation and a denotation of a name, and how they
can
diverge. An example discussed by I think Susan Haack is that

         the University of  Warwick

is actually in _Coventry_.

That _could_ also be a 'misnomer', unless you take 'Warwick' to be short  for
'Warwickshire' (and Coventry _is_ in Warwickshire).

Note that, perhaps interestingly, 'the red carpet' is not what (some)
philosophers call a _name_ but a 'definite description'. This may have to  do
with
something (for when Geary cogitates this), for it may be said that names  do
not have any _right_ to be imposed on things. This contrast with something I
was reading the other day in Phillips' Book of Great Thoughts -- and Funny
Sayings (by Bob Phillips), Tyndale House Publishers:

   "The beginning of wisdom is to call things
    by their right names."
               Chinese proverb.

It struck me as rather an unwise thing to quote, if funny, though.

Geary has not yet expanded (if he ever will) why he thinks A. Ramos  responded

>President Bush

to the current query (about one's favourite misnomings).

Cheers,

JL