[lit-ideas] Re: Your Favorite Misnomer

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:26:10 EDT

In a message dated 9/1/2004 1:08:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
We used  to have a bookcase in the front hall with a piece of red
carpeting on the  top -- a landing place for keys, glasses, mail and bits
of this and that  on its way from one place to another.  At least fifteen
years ago,  the bookcase was replaced, moved down the hall and covered by
a new  carpet, not red at all.  To this day we all still say, "I'll leave
it  on the red carpet for you."   You just don't mess with things like
that...

Ursula,
still hiding pizza coupons under the 'red'  carpet

Delightful.

Andreas Ramos's choice was

>President Bush.

Geary may make it explicit to me if Andreas meant this as a derivation of
semantic compositionality. I mean, "President Bush" is a nominal phrase
composed
 of "President" + "Proper Name: Bush". So, the implicature must be that Bush
does  not really _preside_? Or that he was misnominated in the first place
("or  both")?

Cheers,

JL