[lit-ideas] Re: Worried?

  • From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 15:20:06 -0600

I wonder if an element of this (not the whole story, but a contributing
impact) is:

Capitalism seems to work for a while under certain circumstances.  And
though there was certainly a good deal of import & export, trade, tariff
issues, etc. in the past, only recently have we gone from having a national
economy to having an economy which is, thanks to globalization and a true
global economy, more a part of that global economy than simply a national
economy.  Our economy is far less self-contained than what it has been in
previous crises.  Capitalism may not work nearly as well as part of a global
economy that also includes other various and far different economic models.
The complexity of the global economic issues seem to me to make the uphill
battle for a stable American capitalism far steeper.

Julie Krueger