[lit-ideas] Re: Worried?

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 12:59:30 -0000

I don't think it's that complicated.

In a sentence (and more to follow): economists are finding out (again) that
unrestrained capitalism does not produce unending growth but rather a cyclical
pattern of peaks and troughs. It's as though the demise of the Soviet Union and
the gradual lure of capitalism in China had convinced those in the know that
capitalism had no down side and was an unrivalled panacea. But what actually
happened was that decision makers let the system go, decreasing regulations,
increasing rewards to profit regardless of risk, and thereby exposing the
global economy to the worst recession since the last depression. Globalism
doesn't just provide benefits to the world, it also ensures the downside is
widespread.

Now watch capital draw its arms in protectively, take a snooze or maybe
hibernate while labour is shown the gates - an invitation to the food scrabble.

Blame Fukuyuma, but not Lawrence.

Simon