[lit-ideas] Re: Wittgenstein's Whistle

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 15:08:08 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 7/8/2012 12:25:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
"The point about "whistling it" is that, as  an expression (with a kind of
sense that is common in certain kinds of  intellectual culture), it offers
some everyday notion to explicate something  that here goes beyond the
everyday [compare Einstein's determinism explained in  terms of a God who
doesn't
play dice: does God play anything? Or is this a  loaded way of suggesting
God would not allow chance-like events?]. Is "whistling  it" not just a loaded
way of conveying dissatisfaction with a saying-showing  distinction?"

Well, it may do to formalise the 'we' and the 'can't' and the 'it' in
Ramsey's rather obscure original wording (ungrammatical, too, in terms of an
unnecessary comma):

[W]hat we can’t say, we can’t say, and we can’t whistle it   either.

----

>a dissatisfaction with a saying-showing distinction?

Don't think so, in that Witters's use of "zeigen" (German for 'show',
indeed cognate with 'show' apparently), in spite of what his interpreters have
suggested (or implicated), is a rather limited one, and Ramsey makes no
mention  of it.

McEvoy:

"But it is best to stick to "showing" - for clearly in any  literal sense W
was not "whistling it": and it is hard to see in what  non-literal sense W
was "whistling it" either."

Good point. I think Ramsey must have meant 'whistle' LITERALLY.

What things can we whistle?

Note that he starts his dictum with a tautonym, almost:

What we  can't say we can't say.

-- And we can't whistle what we can't say, either.

No mention of a tune -- like a part of Beethoven's 7th Symphony -- that
Witters was wont of whistling. Note incidentally, that unlike a fourt-part
fugue, as R. Paul mention, is more of a task to whistle, that R. Paul leaves
to  his favourite philosopher, H. P. Grice.

For what Witters whistled was the MELODY line (for the second fiddle) in
the segment A67-A78 in the Beethoven's score of the "Symphonie VIII" as per
von  Reichenbach's transcription. Malcolm knew this, and agreed that the
whistling  came out as rather 'accurate and expressive'.

---- (The Wittgensteins were a musical noticeable family -- cfr.
Wittgenstein the one-hand pianist). (And I wouldn't be surprised if there is a
score, somewhere, for a one-hand pianist and a whistler -- or with "whistling"
(fischio) obligato.

McEvoy:

"Ramsey's reaction may be thought to reflect a kind of philosophical
prejudice. And by "whistling it" we are trying to say something that lacks
literal or non-literal sense in terms of what is said about what W puts forward

- we are perhaps merely trying to show, and with a pejorative sense, that
there  is something wrong in an account of language which uses a notion of
what is  shown but not said by language."

--- Well, yes. But I think that's reading too much into 'whistling'. For
what does one SHOW by whistling?

Malcolm:

"Wittgensteins was in very good spirits. We talked about music, and  that
he whistled for me, with striking accuracy and expressiveness, some parts  of
Beethoven's 7th Symphony."

At this point, we may need a 'musical illustration' segment. It's different
 from,

"He whistled Dixie to me".

Or

he whistled, "Oh Susanna, I come from Alabanna"
or "O Susamma, I come from Alabama"

---- (Does Susannah RHYME with "Alabama"?)

---- Again, while there are four-part barbershop quartettes, it is more
confusing to harmonise in whistiling. So whistling is best applied to where it
 best applies to. And so on.

(In some circles, whistling is considered low-class -- but in some other
circles it is a work-related activity. Sailors whistle for a wind, for
example).

McEvoy:

"The problem may be partly how something can be conveyed in a way that  is
not contained in language: this strikes some as a stretch; whereas for
others  it may seem obvious that the sense of language is not generally [or
even
ever]  contained in language. For these others, it may seem obvious that
language  conveys much more than language: it conveys sense, and while sense
may be  expressed by language that does not mean it is reducible to something
stateable  in linguistic terms. [Compare: paint may express a sense - as in
a painting -  but that sense need not be reducible to something stateable in
terms of paint  simpliciter.]"

Well, I think Grice is into something when he speaks of ICONIC
representation.

A painting of a pipe, with the addition, "This is a pipie", is an iconic
representation. What Aristotle called "mimesis". So what a painting (or
iconic  representation) _shows_ is its representee. Strawson objected that
Grice
wanted  to regard the logical connectives as REPRESENTING aspects of the
state of the  affair mentioned in the logical form. But Strawson thought it
best to follow  Hilbert and regard the logical connectives as bits of
'non-representational'  language -- as a painting by Pollock, say. In which
case,
'and' does not provide  an iconic representation for a conjunction of events or
aspects of the  description of an event, say ("She married and had a
child", "She had a child  and married").

McEvoy:

"For these others, it may seem obvious that a squint or a tone [or a
whistle, or 'pah-pah'] may convey some sense without using language, unless of
course we extend the application of the term 'language' to such cases in a
way  that renders it vacuous. And that when language has sense it has sense
because  of its role as a tool much as a squint or a tone can be taken up as
tools."

Well, a whistle obviously COMMUNICATES:

Malcolm expresses it nicely, "Witters whistled FOR ME some parts of
Beethoven's 7th Symphony". I wonder if he paused between parts, or made it like
whistle-along.

----

In "Whistle and I'll be there", by Housman, the meaning is again that a
whistle communicates.

---- It may well be that the origin of language is in whistling (the
pooh-pooh theory of language).

McEvoy:

"W's say-show distinction is probably problematic for anyone  who conceives
that the analysis for language must be in language and must be in  language
in a way that the analysis does not depend on anything that transcends
linguistic terms."

Especially when Witters seems to have something VERY STRONG against a
'hierarchy' of lingo: L1, L2, L3. Because Russell's solution to the
whistle-problem is that what can't be said in L1 may well be said (and not just
 shown)
in L2. And so on.

McEvoy:

"But it may be doubted that W found the idea that the sense of language was
 not contained in language was particularly problematic - and it may be
doubted  that the view that it is problematic is anything much more than a
philosophical  prejudice (indeed, a 'positivistic' one?)."

I think 'positivistic' is overused. I restrict the term to Comte. If it's
Vienna Circle (the 'rednecks' as Grice calls them in "Actions and Events"
(Pacific Philosophical Quarterly), that's LOGICAL positivism we are meaning.
A  different beast, metaphorically.

McEvoy:

"There is doubtless something problematic in the TLP but it is not  simply
that it uses a say-show distinction, for even if we admit any such
distinction is somewhat 'problematic' that would not mean it was any more
problematic that any approach that tried to avoid drawing any such distinction
-  and
so it would not constitute an argument against it. Again: is it more than
philosophical prejudice to think that any approach that tried to avoid
drawing  any such distinction would be less problematic? We may ask how it is
that  certain things are shown and find that this cannot be answered beyond a
point of  trying to show that they are shown: the manifest is manifest, and
we cannot look  behind it to see how or why it is manifest. We cannot look
behind because we  would be seeking to go beyond certain inescapable limits,
including the "limits  of language". This may be unsatisfactory, particularly
because it limits the  kind of explanation we might obtain, but it is not
obviously false for that. And  its unsatisfactory character in this way
should not be mistaken for an argument  that it is be dismissed as an untenable
position. This is to merely to whistle  against such a position."

Well, in Ramsey, the distinction is not so much between say/show but
between

say/whistle.

The say-whistle distinction in Ramsey -- rather.

The very few occasions where Witters use 'zeigen' do not really justify for
 this grand thing that interpreters have as the 'say/show' distinction. To
requote from Read and Deans:

They note:

"The  notion of showing [zeigen] is NEVER used in reference to  nonsense
[Unsinn] but  only in reference to
legitimate, well-formed  propositions."

They go on to quote "two central Tractarian remarks on showing"

Wittgenstein:

"Propositions cannot represent logical form. Logical form is mirrored in
propositions. What mirrors itself in language, language cannot represent.
What  expresses itself in language, we cannot express by language."

The first use of 'zeigen' comes in 4.121, where he uses 'display' (in
German):

"Propositions SHOW the logical
 form of reality. They display it  (4.121)."

and it's as a corollary to that, in 4.1212 that he adds:

"What can be shown cannot be said" (4.1212).

what cannot be said.

---- It is after that that Ramsey adds a trichotomy:

what can be shown
what can be said
what can be whistled

with variations in the negative

What can be said can be said.
What can't be said can't be said.
What can't be said can't be whistled.

And so on.

---- If Read and Deans are right, neither in the TLP nor the PI is anything
 shown (they entitle their brilliant essay, which covers both TLP and PI as
 "Nothing is Shown".

or whistled, regardless of that tripette from the airport to Ithaca.

Note that a lot has been SAID though.

Cheers,

Speranza