[lit-ideas] Why I love reading "Reading Lolita in Tehran" in DC

  • From: "Mohammad Al-Ubaydli" <mo@xxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:57:45 -0400

Dear John and fellow readers of "Reading Lolita in Tehran",
apologies for my silence about the book, but I'm a slow reader. However I'v=
e managed to get a third of the way into the book and my next email will me=
ntion my first thoughts...

But in this email I wanted to thank John for introducing me to the book, an=
d to thank DC for being such a cool town.

First, I discovered that Azar Nafisi lives in the DC area, and teaches at t=
he Johns Hopkins campus in DC. Unfortunately my discovery came one day afte=
r she had given a lecture at a local book club, but I'm still trying to inv=
ite her to NIH. (Her agent's price list is a little beyond my budget but I'=
m trying to pull the "fellow academic" card to see if I can convince Dr Naf=
isi to make an appearance :-)

Second, I was reading the book today at the Georgetown Barnes and Noble. An=
 old friend of mine from Cambridge turned out to be there, and he pointed t=
o another table - there sat Gordon Brown (Britain's Chancellor of the Exche=
quer).

So: I now have a signed copy of "Reading Lolita in Tehran"... it's not (yet=
) signed by Dr Nafisi, but it does contain Gordon Brown's "Best wishes" to =
me. DC rocks.

mohammad