[lit-ideas] Re: White Phosphorus

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 22:17:51 -0600

JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

From GlobalSecurity.org: Click here: White Phosphorus (WP) <http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/wp.htm>
Someone know what "HE" and "HC" stand for?

"HE" is "High Explosive." It's the standard explosive artillery shell or bomb; a fairly thin metal outside with a lot of very high energy explosive inside. When it explodes, it has such a high rate of expansion that it crushes cement and shreds bodies. This has never been declared a prohibited weapon, even though it's effects on the body are to make it into hamburger. I didn't see any "HC" on this website, and I don't recall anything like "HC."

<>And apparently I no longer comprehend English. This statement is beyond my understanding: "The use of white phosphorus or fuel air explosives are not prohibited or restricted by Protocol II of the Certain Conventional Weapons Convention (CCWC), the Convention on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Certain Conventional Weapons which may be Deemed to be Excessively Injurious or to have Indiscriminate Effects."

WP shells have some explosive inside, surrounded by phosphorus, and encased in a metal outside. The explosive is much less than in "HE" so when the shell breaks apart, rather than breaking into thousands of tiny sharp shards that tear everything up into tiny shards, the WP shell breaks into fairly larger fragments. These key-sized pieces (or larger) can slice limbs off, or cut a body badly, but the body still looks like a body, not like hamburger.

"HE" shells can start fires; you see a lot of burned-out American viehicles as a result of "HE" improvised explosives. The bodies burned in such an event are usually charred beyond recognition because the fire is generalized. But "WP" burns in a very localized way. Although it can start large fires, and is used as an incindeary weapon to start fires, when the phosphorus burns the person directly, it's usually a localized burn, not general over the whole body. Small dime-sized pieces of phosphorus are scattered by the shell exploding, and a piece this size on the skin soon burns down deep into the body, without doing any other damage so that the person feels the burn fully. But these burns can be quite local; a person mgiht get one chunk of phosphorus on them and a severe burn to the arm an inch around and three inches deep, with no other injuries.

I'm sorry to be so graphic, but it's essential to really understand the whole "HE" and "WP" controversy. High explosive shells typically tear a body up so badly that it no longer even looks human. "WP" can cause extremely severe burns but it does not typically destroy a whole body. If you see photos of bodies that have generalized burns rather than spot burns, it's probably due to HE explosions or some secondary fire; if you see bodies that have extremely severe local burns but that do not appear over most of the body, the person probably was burned by "WP."

I would have no preference in which way is a worse way to die, or to be injured; they are both horrible.

The U.S. has said that it carefully targets the enemy and tries to avid civilian casualties, but I once again recommend to the list a radio interview with one of the Pentagon officers whose job was doing the targeting. In that interview, he said that durring the war a bomb could not be dropped if it would cause more than 30 civilian casualties. But that means the "careful" targeting that the U.S. is continually citing allows for 29 civilian deaths for every bomb dropped! This has nothing to do with the type of bomb; I suspect that most of the horror stories about "prohibited" munitions are the result of old-fashioned "HE" bombs and artillery fire.

The radio interview is here:
http://www.thislife.org/pages/archives/archive05.html

Julie Krueger
wondering what counts as "excessively injurious".