[lit-ideas] Re: Which thinker/writer had the greatest personality defects?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 11:20:24 EDT

Donal quotes from Bryan Magee's assessment of Sir Karl Popper:
>"a major philosopher but not really a very likeable man.
>I hugely valued my relationship with him, but to be honest
>I never really liked him."

Oh, come on. Physically? What kind of 'relationship' is he talking about?

This is a good occasion to bring the attention my subscript-device.

For things like 'like' and 'likeable' we need a subscript device. With this
device, Magee's utterances become:

(1) A major-bm philosopher but not really-bm a very-bm like-bm-able man-bm.
(2) I hugely valued my relationship with him, but to be honest-bm, I never
really-bm liked him.

Note the use of the 'skirt' word, 'really' -- it would seem that Magee's
original utterance,

(3) He's not REALLY a very likeable man.

suggests ('implicates')

(4) He _is_ a very likeable man, only not _really_ so.

Ditto for his other utterance:

(5) To be honest, I never really liked him.

suggesting ('implicating'):

(6) But _not_ really so, I did.

But the point is, I don't think (and I don't think McEvoy sincerely thinks)
the greatest-dmce 'personality' defect is to be measured by whether you are
found to be by Mr. Magee not 'really' likeable. It's what Lady Popper thought
that counts -- and his two children.

Cheers,

JL