[lit-ideas] Re: Which thinker/writer had the greatest personality defects?

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 14:55:58 +0100 (BST)

Of course, as usual I suggest the greatest is Popper, though here
Wittgenstein arguably runs him a very close second.

For example, Popper's long-time friend and writer of the best-selling
introduction to his ideas, Bryan Magee fondly recalls Popper in these terms:-

<Magee, who knew Popper and wrote a book about him in 1973, describes him as
"a major philosopher but not really a very likeable man. I hugely valued my
relationship with him, but to be honest I never really liked him." Instead
Magee picks out Bertrand Russell as the most impressive individual he met,
"because of his extraordinary intelligence. Anything you say about it will
sound like a cliché, but it was extraordinary.">
[From Guardian on-line archive]

Donal