[lit-ideas] Re: What is information? (third try)

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 13:59:52 -0700

I give up. I just give up. It's the rain. It's the coming world crisis. It's
that new stuff I'm taking for my sinuses. It's the Pope.

Here's what I wanted to say.

Though it's rank anthropomorphism to say that a computer is 'carrying out
instructions' (or thinking to itself), the implausibility of this doesn't
entail that we CANNOT read back from what the computer is doing to something
that can be symbolized.

Robert Paul