[lit-ideas] Re: What happened at Abu Ghraib?

  • From: andy amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:20:22 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: May 13, 2004 9:43 AM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: What happened at Abu Ghraib?

Interesting.  This lesson dates all the way back to the Spartans.   They
wanted their boy soldiers to learn to live off the land and, in training
for the stealth required for that, barely fed them, encouraged them to
go out and steal and then punished them if they were caught.  Punished
not for the stealing but for the getting caught.

A.A.  Great minds think alike.  I did not know that Spartans were generally
punished for survival.  I only knew that they were required to have sex, for
obvious reasons to perpetuate the group, and they were severely punished if
they got caught.  Weird has been around a long time.

To Mike:   Joseph Heller's Catch 22 speaks to the military, but, as you point
out, mixed messages are a big part of the bigger world as well.  Maybe rather
than reforming our prison system over and over, we could put a few dollars into
not making people crazy in the first place.  Maybe then weird would begin to
fade away.

A.A.

Ursula