[lit-ideas] Re: What a day!

  • From: cblitid@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 13:58:16 +0200

[Somehow last week I got dropped from the Lit-Ideas list. Funny how in the Internet Age a week is an eternity and something 4 days old seems very stale 'news' indeed. Nevertheless, I'll persevere and repost a message that failed to appear ...]

On 16-Jul-12, at 1:46 PM, David Ritchie wrote:

On Jul 16, 2012, at 2:05 AM, cblists@xxxxxxxx wrote:

--- [I] somehow forgot to mention that today is Pinchas Zukerman's 64th ... birthday!

Also, the resignation of "Lord Greenville."

http://www.historynet.com/today-in-history

I rely initially on two radio programs for my 'today in history' reflections: Deutschlandfunk's five-minute 'Kalenderblatt' [‘Calendar Page'] following the 9 a.m. news and Norddeutschrundfunk's fifteen- minute 'Zeitzeichen' [literally 'time signal'; figuratively 'sign of the times'] at 8:15 p.m. Each program picks only one event from history; rarely do the two programs report on the same event. (The choice seems idiosyncratic: it can be some - to me -relatively obscure event from medieval history, the anniversary of the death of a American jazz musician, the commemoration of the passing of some bit of legislation.) Then I check the English and German editions of Wikipedia to see what else has happened on this day in history. (This morning I used the site mentioned by David Ritchie, above.)

Today [19 July 2012] 'Kalenderblatt' passed over the sinking of the Mary Rose, the discovery of the Rosetta Stone, the first docking of Apollo and Soyuz spacecrafts, and the birthdays of Samuel Colt, Edgar Degas and Lizzie Borden to report on

the meeting of Beethoven and Goethe at a spa in Teplitz on this day in 1812.

Chris Bruce,
taking the waters in
Kiel, Germany