[lit-ideas] What I do when I'm not posting to Lit-Id

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:53:29 -0500

This from the NY Times:

South Carolina to Offer Cross on Car Plates

...."The whole issue here is that people are trying to get the state to endorse
their religion, and that's wrong," said Dr. T. Jeremey Gunn, director of the
A.C.L.U. Program on Freedom of Religion and Belief. "It's almost as if there's
insufficient support, and they have to go to the state to get it."
Senator Lawrence K. Grooms, the co-sponsor of the bill, rejected that argument.

"I didn't see a constitutional problem with it," said Mr. Grooms, a Republican
who is chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee. "We have other plates
with religious symbols on them and phrases like 'In God We Trust.' Just because
it's a cross, some very closed-minded people don't believe it should be on a
plate."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/06/us/06license.html

I emailed Senator Grooms:

Dear Senator Grooms,

We at the American Taliban Association thank your for co-sponsoring the "I
Believe" license plates.  Many people think that the ATA supports only Muslim
fundamentalism, but that's not true, we gladly support any fascist program that
furthers religious control of government.  Obviously you have no problem
aligning the state of South Carolina with Christianity and, assuming you're a
logical man, would therefore have no problem supporting an Islamic state as
well.  Cuis regio eius religio, right?  We hope to begin serious, and I do mean
jihad-serious, proselytizing in South Carolina soon and will no doubt be
calling on you.

Yours in the faith,
Mike Geary
Memphis
********

Juvenile?  Yes, but oh so fun!  It'll change the way Larry thinks, I'm sure.

Mike Geary

Memphis