[lit-ideas] Re: On Nip Thievery

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 09:59:13 -0400

I think probably all wisdom has always been around. I'm sure I've read that Fletcher was quoting someone else when he wrote this.

I bring these thoughts into class when considering the power and influence of the myth of Jewish bondage in Egypt. It does (and has done) its work in the world whether it's true or not. (And most scholars these days say not.)
Ursula

--------------------------------
John McCreery wrote:

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    It's in this sense that a peoples' mythology about their past has
    more significant reverberations than the reality (whatever that
    is). Hence Fletcher of Saltoun's line:  if a man were permitted to
    make all the ballads, he need not care who should make the laws of
    a nation.

Interesting. In China the same thought is attributed to Confucius and has been around for centuries.

John
--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN