[lit-ideas] What Every Soldier Knows

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 11:20:59 EDT

In a message dated 5/27/2010 3:56:44 A.M., rpaul@xxxxxxxx
quotes J. Wager and me on "I cannot see how you can KNOW that the commander
 KNOWS."
and writes: "He knows it in the same way that Mark Twain knew that Huck
Finn and Jim
went down a river on a raft."

I guess I should reread that novel. It IS fiction, no?

---- Anyway, it seems that importing 'know' at this stage can only confuse.
 Next you'll have Uncle Sam talking about 'what every soldier KNOWS' and
Hilary  Clinton arguing from theoretical knowledge to practical knowledge,
where 'what  every soldier knows' involves notably references to universal
imperatives  written by Kant -- in German!

JLS