[lit-ideas] Wall Street, Amanda and Berlusconi

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 10:01:30 -0700 (PDT)

I checked for Internet coverage of the Occupy Wall Street protests.  I found:

CNN did a lame story, and not on their first page, debating whether they were
protests or riots, in which they mention the NY Post (Murdoch) that called them
near riots:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/28/opinion/kohn-tradition-of-protests/index.html?hpt=us_mid

ABC had coverage, mostly about how the protests are impeding traffic, never
mentioning that the U.N. is meeting and traffic is jammed on the whole island
virtually:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/occupy-wall-street-protestors-arrested-bridge-14649732

The NYT had nothing at all in today's front page news.

Before I finish up about the Occupy Wall Street protests, I want to say that I
just had a discussion about Amanda with someone more knowledgeable than I.  I
relent in that it seems that she was already convicted, hence the books, and
the evidence from appearances has holes in it, but so does her story.  The
Italians can be pretty out of control too, however, even if they had the wisdom
to finally turn on Berlusconi.
(http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9Q3KK280.htm)  Given that
Berlusconi is the Murdoch of Italian media, i.e., I wouldn't put it past the
scumbag to promote the scandal as a distraction away from himself.  Scary
thought, but definitely possible.  My apologies for jumping all over the P.R.
firm vis-a-vis Amanda.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.  Even
stopped clocks are right twice a day, and maybe this was one of the few
instances a P.R. firm really did do some good, if she's really innocent.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on perspective, Amanda also works to
deflect attention from the great train robbery that's going on on Wall Street.
Already they're spinning the protests as near riots.  This technique is tried
and true worldwide by the CIA (not that it's being done by the CIA, it's not,
it's just their technique), i.e., a few well placed snipers and some willing
journalists and you've got yourself a revolution that promotes some
corporation's interests (United Fruit is the classic example).  I suggest Sonia
Shah's book Oil, the Story of Crude, wherein, among other things, she details
how oil companies in the Niger Delta have decimated the Niger Delta, up to and
including wholesale killings of unarmed civilians that the world knows only as
insurgents, when in fact they've caused the equivalent of an Exxon Valdez spill
every year for decades in their delta, not to mention they hire no locals at
all.  It's a wonderful book,
 I highly recommend it.

Specifically regarding the protests, every town, every city, every person in
this country needs to be protesting against the corruption on Wall Street.  It
is not an overstatement to say that Wall Street is bringing down this country.
If anything, the protests are a day late, a dollar short since the
corporatocracy has already brought down the country.  There's a book that I
haven't read but I heard the author interviewed and it sounded good is called
The Best Way to Rob a Bank is to Own One: How Corporate Executives and
Politicians Looted the S&L Industry, by William K. Black.  For the S&L criminal
endeavor people went to jail.  Today's looting is immeasurably worse, and
there's not even a peep about prosecuting anyone.

Andy