[lit-ideas] Re: "Virtue" in Classical Rome

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 18:35:08 EDT

From the online Short/Lewis Latin Dictionary, below. I'm not sure how 'vir'
developed into 'virtus' -- i.e. what the '-tus' is supposed to mean here. I
suppose there was, as I say, a primitive Latin term for something like _female_
 virtue, too?

Cheers,
JL

--

Excerpted:

_virtūs_
(http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/morphindex?lang=la&lookup=virtus&bytepos=72754554&wordcount=1&embed=2&doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0059)
  , Å«tis
 f. vir ,

manliness, manhood, i. e. the sum of all the corporeal  or mental excellences
of man,

Also:  strength, vigor; bravery, courage; aptness, capacity;  worth,
excellence, virtue, etc.:

Transf., of animals, and of inanimate or abstract things,  goodness, worth,
value, power, strength,  etc.:

Also:  Moral perfection, virtuousness, virtue.

Also:  Virtue, personified as a deity, Cic.

Also:  Military talents, courage, valor, bravery,  gallantry, fortitude (syn.
fortitudo), etc.:

Also:  Also:  :